Wednesday 19 November 2014

Recipes: Meatloaf & Scalloped Potatoes

A friend asked for these recipes when I teased that I was making them for dinner. It takes a lot of work to transpose a recipe from the way it is on the page from my recipe bible to what actually ends up going on in the kitchen! Since I went to all the effort, I figured I may as well share with all of you lovelies, too!
 
Mom's Meatloaf
1 lb ground pork (room temp. No one likes icy hands!)
1 egg
1 med onion, diced or minced
4 tbs bread crumbs (or crushed crackers of your choice. I used Bretton whole grain)
1 cup, lightly packed grated veggie (Carrot, broccoli stalks, zucchini, etc. I used half carrot and half broccoli. Mom always did Carrot and zucchini)
*2 tsp onion soup mix & 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
OR
*1 tsp chilli powder & 1 tsp garlic & 1 tsp parsley
Ketchup (I always use the store brand. Less sweet than Heinz)
Mix it all together

Pack into backing dish/slow cooker
Coat with Ketchup
Bake covered @ 350 for 40 min (or whatever your slow cooker needs are)
Let rest out of pan for 5 min.
 
Mushroom Scalloped Potatoes
1 tin mushroom soup
same measure of milk

1 cup minced onions

Enough thinly sliced potatoes to create a thick layer on the bottom of your casserole dish

2/3 cup bread crumbs

2 dashes of cayenne

4 dashes of garlic powder (1 pressed clove)

1/4 cup thinly shredded cheese of your choice, (or powdered parm, or other shakable
cheese)

1/4 cup minced mushrooms of choice

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix soup, milk, onion, mushrooms and spices with half of cheese.
Layer potatoes, well overlapped.
Pour mixture over and spread into crevices
Coat with 1/2 of remaining cheese
Coat with crumbs
Coat with rest of cheese
Bake, covered (lid or tinfoil) @ 400 for 50 min

No comments:

Post a Comment