Wednesday 26 November 2014

Poetry - I Shall Endure

I Shall Endure


Here I stand, staring eternity in the face
Stuck in place, in this broken shell
They ask, How can you stand it?
And I ask them, How can I not?
There are so many roads yet untraveled
So many doorways still closed
There are windows that yearn to be unshuttered
Trails that call to be blazed
I will not lay where I’ve fallen
I refuse to remain in the muck and mire
I exist through the thunder and the lightening
I push on through the weight of the pain
There are so many things to experience
Whole chapters of the story yet untold
I will not run from ghouls and monsters
I refuse to submit to the fear

Still I stand, though I am shattered
Plodding on, dragging the chains of my past
They ask, How is it that you can go on?
And I ask them, How can I not?
Great swathes of the globe unexplored
So much of the world I’ve not seen
There are footprints to be left in sand
Hearts and lives to be a part of
I will not let slip my grip on life
I will follow wherever it might lead
I bear the hatred of mine enemies
I bask in the love of kith and clan
An unseen pattern to be weft and woven
A whispered voice to heed
I will not turn my face from the fire
I shall not let the darkness reign

No comments:

Post a Comment